I made this sometime this summer and took it to Blake and Cheryl's, whom I consider BBQ experts. They thought it was worth sharing so here it is:
- 9 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 4 lbs)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 5 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- Mix all ingredients for marinade together in a large bowl or a plastic zip-lock bag. Add the chicken and make sure that every piece is covered evenly. Marinate in a fridge for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours or, better yet, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the chicken and all of the marinade in a baking dish. Bake uncovered at 450 degrees F for 25-30 minutes with the skin side up, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. To make sure the chicken tops are nicely browned and do not dry out, baste the chicken thighs in the juices and marinade about 15-20 minutes into baking.