Monday, March 7, 2011

Tuna Patties with Creamy Dill Sauce

This is NOT a gourmet food--and most of the recipes here are for more gourmet food--but if you're like me and trying to find new ways to use that cheaper food storage tuna in recipes, then this is definitely a tasty recipe.  I have really picky kids and they all ate this and said it was good!  Oh and I got this from allrecipes.com

To make 8 patties:
4 cans tuna
4 egg whites (I just used the whole eggs, even though it's not as healthy)
1-2 C whole wheat bread crumbs
2 TB dried parsley flakes (I used half fresh parsley and half dried)
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1 1/2 TB lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel (I didn't have this, didn't miss it)
1 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp pepper
olive or canola oil

Dill Sauce:
1 C mayo (I used plain yogurt because it's healthier and it tasted good)
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon peel (again, didn't have it and didn't miss it)
1 tsp dill weed

The original recipe also calls for 1 C pureed parsnips to take the place of some of the bread crumbs.  I didn't have parsnips on hand, thought about doing carrots instead, but really didn't want to take the time and go to all that trouble, but I'm sure it would be a tasty way of including more veggies in this recipe.

In a bowl combine bread crumbs, eggs, onion, parsley, lemon juice and peel, dill, and pepper.  Add tuna and mix well.
Shape into 8 large patties or 16 smaller patties (they will be soft).  In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Cook patties for 5-6 min on each side or until lightley browned. 
Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl; serve with tuna patties.

My kids really liked the sauce with the patties.

1 comment:

  1. it sounds so yummy!
    I'll give it a try when I an eat again.

    ReplyDelete