Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Simple Biryani

Apparently, this is an Indian dish.  I got it from a cookbook called The Feed Zone.  It's a book of recipes used by chefs who cook for teams in races like the Tour de France and the last few recipes I posted are also from there.  I figured I probably ought to give credit somewhere.

This is a bit of a different flavor for our family, so it didn't go over well with the kids, but Blake and I both like Indian food and loved it.  Too bad I don't love making separate meals for each member of my family like a short order cook.

2 C rice (I don't recommend brown rice since it doesn't absorb flavors as well, in my opinion)
3 1/2 C water
2 T light olive oil
2 C chopped vegetables (carrots, broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini, etc.)
1 onion, sliced into strips
1/4 C cashews or peanuts
1/4 C raisins (initially, I wasn't going to add this because I thought, "Ew.  Gross."  But, then I did.  And it was surprisingly tasty.)
1 T curry powder (more if you like)

Optional Add-Ins (I didn't do any because I knew this was already a stretch for my family's taste buds, but I totally would have done ginger and cilantro if it was just for me):

Fresh ginger
Cilantro
Diced cooked potatoes
Chicken
Garbanzo beans

Combine rice and water in a rice cooker, or cook over stove
While the rice is cooking, in a large deep pan, bring oil to medium-high heat.  Add the other ingredients; saute until raisins are plump and curry powder is fully incorporated (I waited on the cashews because I was worried they'd lose their crunch), about 3-5 minutes.
Add rice, stir and cook until everything is evenly distributed and the color is uniform, about 8-10 minutes.  Add salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment