Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sweet Potato & Quinoa Chili

I made this tonight and it got rave reviews from the grown ups and mixed reviews from the kids.  I totally plan on making it again though, because I loved it.

1 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can tomato paste
1 1/2 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
dash garlic powder
dash onion powder
salt, to taste
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
4 C. broth or water
1 large sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1 C. uncooked quinoa

In large pot, heat oil.  Saute onions until starting to brown.  Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.  Next add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder.  Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add tomatoes, beans, broth, and sweet potatoes.  Stir to combine, then add quinoa.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover with the lid slightly off, then cook for 40 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked and the sweet potatoes are as soft as you like them.  Add salt to taste and feel free to add more water if it's too thick.

I got this from this website.  As I said, we really liked it, but I did add at least a cup of extra water and I cooked it longer because the sweet potatoes weren't as soft as I wanted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment