Friday, February 21, 2014

Quite Possibly The Best Recipe In Existence

That is a pretty big claim to make, I realize.  However, it has a host of qualities that make it invaluable in my recipe book:

  • Requires a total of 8 ingredients, most (if not all) of which you should already have on hand
  • It takes about 5 minutes to prepare
  • It only dirties one, maybe two dishes
  • It smells delightful
  • It tastes SO delicious
  • Everyone in my entire family likes it.  And given the short list (which pretty much involves chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and mac n' cheese)--this is nothing short of a miracle.
2 T melted butter
1 package (or about 6) chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on--if you are afraid of leaving skin on the chicken, don't bother making this recipe.  That's right, go big or go home when it comes to roasted chicken).
1/4 C. white wine
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, or 1/2-1 tsp. dried
2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp. dried
1 T coarse salt
1 T freshly ground pepper
1/4 C. lemon juice

Preheat oven to 450.
Coat the bottom of a cast iron (oven proof) skillet with butter.  Coat all sides of the chicken with melted butter.  Nestle the chicken pieces in the pan.  Pour the wine over the chicken.  Top with rosemary and thyme, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast for 40 min.  Change the oven to broil and broil 5 more minutes.
Remove from oven and spritz with lemon juice
Let rest 5 min.

*A note about chicken with the skin on--I know some people think this is unhealthy.  I won't get on my soap box about the "low fat diet" fallacies (unless you want me too!), but I will say that if you are afraid of leaving the skin on, don't bother making this recipe.  I've never taken the skin off, but I am certain it would just be a waste of otherwise good chicken and perfectly good butter.  Dining on the skin is not necessary, as it will have done its job by the time you take the deliciousness out of the oven.  When it comes to roasted chicken, go big or go home.  

Oh, and I get 'Just BARE' brand chicken thighs.  We once made it with ho-hum brand chicken thighs and it just wasn't the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment