Monday, January 17, 2011

Don't Fear The Sprouts, Man!

So, I'm trying to eat locally and in season.  A bit of a challenge for someone who likes to plan way in advance for meals, like me.  But kind of fun, too.  Anyway, most recently this lead me to brussel sprouts.  They are apparently in season right now.  Or so I've been told.  Here is a recipe that even the kids will tolerate.  A little.

Bacon Brussels


15-20 fresh brussel sprouts
3 slices bacon (I like center cut because it's way less fatty)
olive oil
salt
fresh ground pepper
Splash or two of Balsamic Vinegar

Cut the bottoms off of the brussel sprouts.  Hang onto the leaves that fall off in the process.  Put the rest of the bulbs in a food processor and pulse briefly.  I have a small processor, so I had to do this in several batches.  But the idea is to just chop it up a little.  You'll  have a lot that's pretty shredded, but then still some big chunks, and the leaves that you set aside earlier.  While you're doing this, throw the bacon on a large skillet and cook it to whatever level you like your bacon.  Remove to cool.  When you're done, put  all the sprout pieces in the skillet.  If you used normal bacon you can either drain the grease first and then use olive oil, or you can cook the sprouts in the bacon grease.  My bacon didn't really leave any grease in the pan, so I poured a little olive oil over the brussel sprouts and tossed the mixture.  Saute all this for 5-8 minutes.  You want them to stay tender crisp.  Meanwhile, chop the bacon.  Then salt and pepper the brussel sprouts to taste, splash in the vinegar, and finally top with the bacon.

I think it would also be yummy with Parmesan cheese and/or toasted pine nuts. But I haven't tried either yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment